The Kirra Boardwalk Project consisted of the removal of 178m of timber boardwalk and replacement with a precast concrete deck with insitu topping and replacement of stainless steel handrail and new access stairs to the beach.
The new structure is supported on 900 diameter steel cased concrete piles socketed 3m into rock below the beach and extending 4m above the beach to the boardwalk level.
The works required significant environmental protection of the beach and flora and fauna and continuous traffic and pedestrian management for 3 months.
The works involved;
• Design including Geotechnical Investigation
• Install 22 No 900 Diameter Concrete Piles with 3m deep Rock Sockets
• Environmental Protection
• Traffic Management
• Demolition of existing timber boardwalk
• Slope Stabilisation and ground retention
• Construct Headstocks
• Install Precast Concrete Deck Units over 200m length of curved boardwalk
• Install patterned concrete topping
• Rehabilitate, strengthen and replace existing stainless steel guardrail